Payment Options

Residents have three options to pay for their housing expenses.  Housing costs are not added to a residents’ SAIL (tuition) account.  It is billed by and paid directly to either Miramar or Momentum Village.  

Monthly payments

Most residents take advantage of our monthly payment plan.  We have averaged the cost of housing into equal monthly payments- Miramar is 9 payments and Momentum Village is 12 payments.  There is no additional fee or paperwork necessary to utilize the monthly payment option.  **NEW for 2019-2020** Miramar will have 10 monthly payments.

Semesterly payments 

Residents can make a lump sum payment for their housing a semester at a time.  Check the first page of your lease to add up the cost for the semester.

Financial Aid

Residents who wish to use their financial assistance to pay for housing must first complete the Housing Payment Option (HPO) Request form.  This form is completed online AFTER the housing application is complete.  Completing the form tells the housing provider and TAMU-CC that a student expects to have enough financial assistance funds to cover at least a portion of their housing expenses and the student wants TAMU-CC to pay the funds directly to Miramar or Momentum Village.

The process has several steps.  Steps 1-3 may change order, depending on when a student applies for housing and financial assistance.

  1. Student must apply for financial assistance by completing the FAFSA.  The priority deadline for FAFSA is March 31 for the next academic year. 

  2. Student is notified through SAIL and Islander email about their financial assistance awards, such as University scholarships, state or federal grants, work study, or student or parent loans.  Student must follows instructions provided to accept award(s).  If accepting a student or parent loan, ensure that all steps are completed to guarantee the loan.

  3. Student completes the housing payment option request form (HPO) in the housing portal (after signing their lease).  If you did not complete the form and need to add it, please contact either Miramar or Momentum Village and ask to add HPO to your application.

  4. Review of all HPO requests normally begins about 2 weeks prior to the start of each semester. It can take a week or more for all the offices involved to review and decide upon each student’s request. 

    • Student Financial Assistance reviews the student’s financial assistance package to determine if all steps to accept the awards have been completed and if any funds may be available to cover housing costs. 
    • Bursar’s Office then applies financial assistance to the student’s tuition and fees, and then meal plan, if applicable.  If at least $200 is available to cover housing AFTER paying tuition, fees and meal plan (if applicable), then it will be applied towards housing costs.
  5. Student is notified via their ISLANDER email if any funds are available to cover housing.  The notification is sent from

    • If approved, the amount approved and any remaining balance will be included in the email.  Please note that the approved amount or balance due may change if a student changes floor plans, adds or drops classes, or makes any changes to their financial aid package. If the amount does change, another email will be sent that includes the new award amount and new current balance.  The most recent email overrides any previous email(s).    
    • If denied, the student should login to their SAIL account and click on the Financial Aid tab to see if a reason is listed.  Sometimes, a student is simply missing a signed form or needs to complete the online Entrance Loan Counseling course.  If not, contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance for more information.  Islander Housing staff do not have access to financial assistance records and cannot determine why the request was denied.  When a denial occurs, the student must contact their housing community directly to make first payment arrangements.

  6. Housing staff is notified if any funds are available to cover housing cost and will apply that amount to the student's housing account balance.

  7. If the Housing Payment Option request is denied, the student is still responsible for their lease.  Housing leases are not dependent on financial assistance.  If a student does not receive enough financial assistance to cover housing and cannot fulfill their lease, they should immediately contact their housing community to discuss their options.  If the student decides to cancel their lease, they must submit complete the lease cancellation form and pay the lease cancellation fee described in their lease.

  8. The first monthly payment for a lease is due August 1 for Fall leases and January 1 for Spring leases.  The summer deadline varies depending on when the lease begins.  The deadline will be listed on the first page of the lease.  If a student has submitted an HPO request, their payment may not be due on the above deadlines if the HPO status is not determined.  For example, a student completes the HPO application and plans to move-in for the falls semester.  The HPO review process is not completed until August 5.  The student does not need to make a payment on August 1 because the HPO status is still pending. 

    ***If an HPO request has not been decided upon before move-in day, the resident must either submit payment for the first month before getting their keys or speak with Financial Assistance to obtain a letter with an estimated amount of aid that will go toward housing, showing that they will have enough aid to at least cover the first month's payment.  Resident is responsible for obtaining this letter from Financial Assistance.***

**Summer housing and financial aid – residents must be enrolled in summer classes in order to be eligible for summer financial aid. Summer financial aid awards are often less than what is offered for the fall and spring semesters and may not be enough to pay for housing.  Students planning to live on-campus during the summer who need financial aid to cover the cost are strongly encouraged to verify what aid will be available to them through Student Financial Assistance.

College Savings Plans

Students who plan to pay for their housing with a college savings plan, such as a 529 Plan, should contact their plan administrator for instructions on how to access those funds.  Some plans reimburse housing expenses after they family has paid and others will directly pay Miramar or Momentum Village when verification of cost is sent.  Often, students/parents can submit a copy of the resident lease to their plan administrator for cost verification because the first page includes the resident's name and the payment amount due each month.  If the plan administrator requests an invoice, the student can request one by emailing their housing community.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans benefits may be used to cover on-campus housing expenses.  The processing time for veteran's benefits can be long, so plan accordingly.  Hazelwood Act benefits do not cover housing.  Please contact the Veteran's Office for additional information and support.