Disability Related Accommodations

Islander Housing complies with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and Fair Housing Act (FHA) requirements to provide accessible residence facilities for students with disabilities.  Students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply for housing as soon as possible because housing units are assigned on a first come, first served basis.  The earlier requests are made, the more options there are to accommodate student needs.

Examples of available housing accommodations include:

  • Wheelchair accessible rooms
  • Strobe lights connected to door bells
  • Door bells
  • Visual fire alarms
  • Grab bars and/or shower benches in bathrooms
  • Private rooms (private residence hall rooms with private bathrooms and 1 person studio apartments)

Contact Islander Housing at 361.825.HOME (4663) or housing@tamucc.edu for more specific information regarding available housing accommodations.

Service Animals

Service animals are permitted in Islander Housing in accordance with ADA guidelines.  Residents with service animals must complete the appropriate paperwork, which is available at the community's management office.  The paperwork explains a resident’s rights and responsibilities and informs staff that the service animal is permitted to be on-site.

The service animal must have been trained as a service animal in the specific work or tasks directly related to the person’s disability.  The service animal shall be licensed, registered, and immunized as applicable and in accordance with the laws, regulations and ordinances of the State of Texas, and county and city authorities.  The service animal must have updated vaccinations, including but not limited to, the general maintenance vaccine series and any vaccinations deemed necessary by a licensed veterinarian.  All City of Corpus Christi licensing laws and tag laws must be followed.

 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and housing management may require an individual with a disability to remove their service animal from the premises under the following circumstances:

  • The animal is out of control and the animal’s owner does not take effective action to control it.
  • The animal is not housebroken.
  • The animal poses a direct threat to the safety of others.

For more information, please see the University's Service and Assistance Animals Procedure.

Disability Services

Students needing services and accommodations outside of housing need to register with Disability Services.  Services are available for students with permanent and temporary disabilities.